Challenge no.17 - Yeah, she was a sk8er girl

Drop in a quarter pipe on a BMX.

So that should actually read 'Yeah she was a BMXer girl' but that doesn't go.

Set by Sophie.

Sophie likes to BMX, as me and Sophie are best friends, she thought it would be good if I could discover a love for BMX, then we would be able to go riding together.

This is the challenge I was most scared of doing. Not because I could break my arm or crack my head open, but because there is a chance I could knock my teeth out and I spent 3000 bucks getting my teeth straightened. Yes, thats right you're looking at a 3000 quid smile.

I got dressed up in some BMX clothes, I wore skinny jeans, a hoody, a trucker cap and Sophies Etnies. I looked ridiculous. Me, Sophie and her boyfriend Steve (who is awesome at BMX) set out to the skate park.

When we got there Sophie showed me the quarter pipe I would be dropping into, it was about the same height as me. Sophie and Steve then showed me how to drop in, they made it look easy. But before I could attempt to drop in I had to 'carve up the ramps'. Basically the two ramps were facing each other I had to cycle round in a circle, each time trying to get higher and higher up the ramps. This was easier said than done. Firstly I haven't rode a bike since primary school, little fact about me, I failed my cycling profiency. That put a sour taste in my mouth about cycling and I have shunned bikes ever since (I know did everything right, that policeman was just sexist). I was slightly wobbly at first, but as the saying goes 'it was like riding a bike, you never forget', I was soon cycling like a normal person, but as for carving up the ramps. It took me about an hour before I could do it confidently and I still couldnt get very high.

I saw a little tiny ramp I decided I would try to drop into. It was more like a mound. Even so I was still scared of smashing my teeth out, but I eventually did it, however I forgot to steer out the way of the facing ramp and rolled right up it and smashed my 'sensitive areas' on the cross bar(?) of the bmx. However I didn't mind that, as it wasn't my teeth.

In the end, I am sad to say, I didn't drop in on the quarter pipe. I was genuinely scared of smashing my teeth out and I wasn't having a relaxing fun time, I felt pressured due to time and people staring at me. I would like to try it again, in a less pressured environment and with a mouth-shield.

Difficulty rating: Really hard
Fun Factor: I didn't have much fun, but I can se how it could be
Do this if...you want to learn a new, exciting sport.

Challenge 17: FAILED!

Holly

x

1 comment:

  1. Well done :) It is way too easy to knock your teeth out. Trust me. Luckily I didn't have to pay to get mine fixed. Just suffer through all the work for about seven years

    ReplyDelete