Challenge no.20 - Meat Free

Be a vegan for the day.

Set by Kayleigh and Collette

Kayleigh set me this challenge as she is attempting to be a vegan for 28 days. I thought she would find it easy, however if you read her blog, you will see the problems it has raised. www.flutterbypink.blogspot.com.

Collette is vegan and she wanted me to appreciate veganism.

I figured this would be really easy, I am not a massive meat-eater anyway. Meat wise I only really eat chicken and bacon and the occasional burger, otherwise I eat vegetarian sausages and mince.

I do not oppose eating meat, yet I also understand why people are vegetarians and vegans.

I have actually been vegetarian at one point in my life, however as it was not for moral reasons and just a dislike of meat I found it hard to stick to and caved when presented with a Nandos.

I knew this would be more difficult than being a vegetarian as I would have to cut out all foods that are the result of animal, so no cheese, no milk, no chocolate, no eggs.

For breakfast I had green tea. It wasn't as satisfying as having a cup of tea with milk and honey in, but it did the job and I noticed it didn't feel as heavy in my stomach as a normal cup of tea.

For Lunch, I normally have a sandwich, wrap or pitta bread with chicken and salad in. Seeing as I couldn't have chicken and I didn't want just salad, I went for the exciting option of chips.

Dinner was more exciting, I made a vegan curry, I used vegetables and beans and lentils and had it with rice. It was delicious.

Normally in the evening or afternoon I have a cup of tea or hot chocolate and dip some biscuits in it, however I couldn't dunk my usual custard creams and I didn't want to dunk biscuits in green tea anyway, so I had a banana. I just didn't feel satisfied, it wasn't the same. I probably could have used this opportunity to experiment and make vegan muffins or brownies, however as it was only for the day, I couldn't be bothered.

50% of the day was easy, 50% was difficult. Dinner was amazing and if I bothered to research I could have probably found something more exciting for lunch and a snack. I should have had the banana for breakfast as it made me feel full for hours, but it wasn't as satisfying as dunking biscuits in tea or hot chocolate.

Although I did realise I could easily go without meat and dairy products, this won't cause any drastic changes in my diet in. I don't feel strongly enough to cut animal products out of my diet. Although I love cups of tea with milk in I liked having green tea for breakfast, my body felt better and lighter than if I had a normal cup of tea. So I may continue to have green tea and a banana for breakfast now..

Difficulty rating: It depends, for one day it wasn't too hard.
Fun factor: not really fun, I should have researched more and made yummy vegan snacks.
Do this if...you want to become vegan, or want a healthier diet

Challenge 20: Completed

Holly

x

No comments:

Post a Comment