Challenge no.10 - Blindness

Be Blind for 2 hours.

Set by my younger sister, Sophie. Sophie is 19, loves clubbing, shopping, BMX riding and animals. She will make you sick with envy, because not only is she beautiful, but she is also clever, funny and caring. She's kind of like the new and improved version of me.
Sophie said she set me this challenge for two reasons, the first being so I could gain some insight into what it would like to be blind and the second being because I am vain. I am supposed to wear glasses but I don't. I don't suit glasses and I like the soft blurred vision not wearing them gives me, the world doesn't seem such a harsh ugly place. Every year I go to opticians for a new pair and each year my eyesight has become a bit worse. You can't blame the girl for worrying.

In ways this challenge was very easy, however it was also very difficult.

I selected a leopard print scarf to use as a blindfold and Puffin as my guidedog. I decided first of all I would take a tour of my house, unguided. It was fairly unsettling at first, straight away I kicked over a mug, luckily it was empty, I walked down my hallway which I have walked down hundreds of times, but it felt like it went on forever. I then decided to go upstairs to visit Vince (my housemate) this also threw me as I never realised that part of the hallway is really narrow. I went into the kitchen and bathroom, carefully and slowly finding my way using my hands and feet to guide the way. Puffin came to laugh at me and decided we should play 'it'. He tagged me and ran off, I then had to listen to him breathing and giggling like a schoolgirl in order to find him, when I finally did he kept jumping out of the way and as I was unsure of what was around me I did not want to wave my arms round too manically. I finally managed to tag him and tried to run off (it was like a little old lady running) and then I ran into a chair, which was actually lucky, because the chair was infront of the fridge.

Enough of these childish games, I wanted a nice relaxing cup of tea. This was actually really easy, saying that I did get Puffin to deal with the whole pouring boiling water bit. I also managed to roll a sort of decent cigarette and do general day to day stuff quite easily.

Me and Puffin then sat down to watch some good old Television, however I could only listen. I did not think that this would bother me too much, but then Puffin started laughing and the audience on the TV were laughing, but I was not. The thing that caused such hilarity was one of those things that you just had to SEE. Like when people fall over, that is hilarious.

Me and Puffin took a trip to Tesco, people were staring weirdly apparently, but this is probably because it looked like Puffn was kidnapping me, especially when he nearly slammed me into a lamp post, he 'forgot' I was blindfolded, luckily I only hit my shoulder. I kept thinking I was in the middle of the road and kept veering to the left and walking into bushes. It was so dis-orientating.
Doing things was fairly easy, but I felt a bit left out and I really missed just being able to look at stuff. I found it frustrating and I had only been 'blind' for a couple of hours.

I was so happy when I was finally allowed to take the blindfold off. I could look around my bright colourful room and at my gorgeous boyfriend/useless guidedog. I do not believe I understand what it is like for people who do not have their sight, I mean I was only blind for 2 hours, however I did realise that is frustrating and I do take my eyesight for granted.

The second I find my glasses, I will swallow my pride and wear them, I will then march down to opticians and get some contact lenses.

Difficulty rating: Easy to DO, hard emotionally
Fun factor: It was sort of funny for about 5 mintues
Do this if..... you want to volunteer to help people who are blind.

Challenge 10: Completed!


Holly


x
Here's a video of me attempting to put on my lipstick blindfolded


No comments:

Post a Comment